For anyone working with Visual Studio 2008 and want to connect to a TFS 2010 server here is a quick guide to getting it to work,
- Install Visual Studio 2008
- Install Visual Studio 2008 SP1
- Install Team Explorer 2008
- Install Visual Studio Team System 2008 Service Pack 1 Forward Compatibility Update for Team Foundation Server 2010
- Reinstall Visual Studio 2008 SP1
To access a collection other then the default you have to get the url for that collection this can be done by checking the properties of the collection in Visual Studio 2010, there will be a url field there.